Salary: 50,000.00€ /year
Clawgear is the leading Austrian brand name for uncompromising quality in professional military tactical nylon equipment and uniform systems. Located in Steyr and under the umbrella of the Swiss-Austrian corporation TMH Trading GmbH, Clawgear is rapidly expanding its knowledge and product portfolio and we are currently looking for 2 new colleagues to join our R&D team for the development of new tactical nylon products.
We are making the real deal come true here in Steyr for the benefit of military and law enforcement personnel on the most demanding missions, all over the planet. If you have what it takes to create that kind of equipment, then we would love to hear from you.
Clawgear is seeking two Product Development Specialists / Engineers / Designers for the development of tactical nylon products, such as pouches, bags, vests, backpacks, ballistic protection, slings and more. The job requirements are broad-ranging and demanding so we don’t expect to find one person with all the listed qualifications. However, with two new colleagues, we hope to cover the workload and responsibilities of the nylon equipment R&D team.
• Work in the R&D team, from concept through design, prototyping, testing, sourcing and manufacturing of technical military and LE nylon products, in a highly interdisciplinary environment.
• Innovate, create and adapt practical and functional solutions to fit the client.
• Transform concepts and ideas into prototypes either through our sample makers or directly using our extensive sewing machine park for sampling.
• Set the quality standard for Tier One tactical equipment.
• Responsible for meeting price points through the knowledge of sourcing raw materials, overseas manufacturing and design solutions.
• Participate in practical field testing of equipment and establishing test criteria/procedures. Using feedback from mainly SOF operators to finetune the product concept.
• Design the necessary tools or molds for new product parts.
• Present design ideas as sketches or drawings.
• Create technical production patterns and consumption lists.
• Cutting materials for prototyping on a laser cutter.
• Test materials for desired characteristics.
• Working with great attention to detail and ability to handle more than one project at a time, at times under stress to meet non-negotiable deadlines.
• Participate in international trade shows, some domestic and international travel required.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Minimum 2 years of experience in creative product design or development. Ability to apply aesthetic sense and knowledge of ergonomics to the products.
• A high level of creativity, enthusiasm for design and technical proficiency is a must.
• Ability to envision and work through a project from start to finish.
• Knowledge of technical textiles and of other materials used in tactical nylon equipment. Experience in fabric development is a plus.
• Knowledge of the requirements of military use of tactical nylon equipment as well as having had relevant military experience is a plus.
• Knowledge of nylon products construction techniques, such as in bags and pouches, patterns and pattern making is required. Experience in garment construction is a plus.
• Experience with Far East production and sourcing of raw materials.
• Experience with 3D CAD design, preferably Autocad, Fusion 360, Inventor or Lectra software.
• Knowledge of Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop is a big plus.
• Knowledge of Word and Excel is required, as well as a general knowledge of computers.
• Ability to learn other software.
• Hands-on problem-solving skills are desired.
• Ability to study, absorb and apply technical knowledge in interdisciplinary product development. Ability to apply mathematics to solve design problems.
• Ability to work with a team as well as in an individual setting.
• Ability to speak and write English fluently. Other language skills are a plus, especially German.
• Experience with sewing machines is a plus, as well as laser cutting equipment.
• Knowledge of tool making and molds is a plus.
• While we do not require any university degree for this position, we do look favourably on relevant education or degree, such as a degree in Product Design, Mechanical Engineering, Product Management, Project Management or similar relevant education. However, we also do acknowledge that the special skill set for this position may come in the form of a self-taught talented person with the right attitude and experience. For the purpose of selection, we would like to see some examples or verifiable references to previous projects done by the applicant.
Place of work:
TMH Trading GmbH, Steyr, Austria. Fulltime work required (38.5 H per week). TMH Trading GmbH is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sexual orientation, age (must be of legal age), gender identity, national origin, disability, or other personal characteristics.
We offer a very competitive salary in Austria (Yearly gross salary from €50.000 and upwards depending on qualifications) and a great, modern, international and relaxed working environment, right in the lovely Upper Austria region. If you are applying from the outside of the EU, please see the Austrian Foreign Ministry homepage (in English) regarding Visa-requirements and understand if you are in an eligible position to work in the EU, before applying for this job.